Sunday, August 14, 2011

Six days until lift off!

Hello Runners!!

Some VERY interesting stuff in the works!!

First of all, I'm writing a new essay called "The Power of Communal Running" specifically for www.feelgoodrunning.com. It really makes me "feelgood" to want to write another paper without getting any school credit for it! 8^) I'm extremely passionate about group running right now; RunnerWife and I have been working with group running long enough to recognize the immense benefits it brings. As a matter of fact, at dinner last night I met a very nice lady and by the end of the night she was convinced that she had to come out and try our group to both get back in touch with her formerly retired runner, AND to meet new great people (see you soon Sandy!). Stay tuned for my in depth analysis on "Communal Running" and it's great benefits soon!

Yesterday was the final training run for our Galloway Training group for America's Finest City Half Marathon in San Diego, CA. The team is looking great and has the "eye of the tiger". I can't wait to experience this great city again (I was just there for Comic Con last month) and now I get to share the wonderful sights and sounds of San Diego with our new running friends. I even hope to catch up with a college classmate while we're out there (hey Phil!). If you're at AFC, keep an eye out for Galloway Walk/Run/Walk shirts and you might just find us. I'll be the guy with the giant smile plastered across my face, and a bunch of excited new runners around me.

While running groups are amazing, we also have our challenges. It's tough to see our running friends sometimes get "taken out" by their old patterns and false beliefs, and RunnerWife and I had a casualty this week. We know a real great person that is STILL a member of our team (if she likes it or not :-) ) we will call "Dorothy". Dorothy recently decided to stop our program after accomplishing her greatest distance yet. She had struggled a bit before and I journaled about it at the time. Here is my entry from July 1st 2011;
____

I just moved to Simi, specifically to help new runners. On the first day we were here, one of our favorite group members contacted my wife saying she wanted to quit! Up to this time, I thought she was a clone of my wife. She wanted to wear the same shoes as Vera, do the same races, etc. All of a sudden she just wanted to quit. We invited her over, literally in the middle of a moving day and spoke to her about what was up. Turns out, she simply had a bad run. But she had so badly beaten herself up mentally over it, that she was willing to give it all away. The health benefits, the enjoyment of others, the fresh air.

Turns out that she had a tape of her mother’s voice constantly running in her head. A tape saying that she would never be good enough, that running was bad for your knees and joints (knee pain was her primary complaint, though it didn’t come up ONCE during our discussion in person), why are you doing this to yourself. I know exactly what she’s going through. I’ve worked to stop those tapes in my head for literally years. I’d say I’ve got it about 70% down, and I focus on it A LOT.

I reminded her why she started running with the group in the first place. You don’t do it for compliments, you don’t do it for your mom, or your Dad or even your spouse. If you’re running for anyone other than you, you will always give it up. In most cases, you also give up the person you’re wrecklessly blaming.

UPDATE: She ran 10.5 miles at the beach with us on 7/10 and LOVED it! :-)
_____

UPDATE to the UPDATE: We lost "Dorothy" again this week, but I truly believe she is not far and of course we are here to welcome her back whenever she's ready. The new challenge is that others are noticing a change in her and it's scaring them. This is something else I have a lot of experience with. I'm not going to upsell it or downplay it here.. running changes who you are at a core level, it brings you back to the best that nature ever intended of you. Most people in our current society DO NOT live this way, and moreso.. some will be threatened by it.

It is SO difficult when you have people that you care about and you feel like they're holding you back. Unfortunately, if you do truly feel that though, you must act on it. That doesn't mean rejecting the people or removing them from your life. It just means caring about them enough to communicate openly with them. Let them know that you are blazing a new trail, and their support is appreciated, but doubt is no longer welcome. You CAN change your relationships with the people you care about. Ultimately this changes your relationship with yourself, and you have more to give to others in general.

I stopped speaking to my mother for several years to learn this lesson. I've lost friends, burned bridges, and literally rejected success using this pattern. Please don't repeat my mistake. When you go through these radical life changes, you will freak people out. You have to realize that you're the leader in these situations, and you have to be brave enough to lead for your very survival and happiness.

Whew.. sorry I went a little deep there for a second. I hope sharing thoughts of mine like this publicly may help someone else out there. I believe there are great lessons in both our success and our failures.

Back to our successes.. AFC Team- I could not be more proud of you and I'll see you in San Diego! Disney team.. rev up your engines and enjoy your long run next weekend!

Dorothy, we'll be waiting for you in Oz. Trust me.. you'll get tired of that black and white farm soon enough. :-) We miss you and wish you health and happiness.

To all my other running friends, thank you for visiting and keep yourself moving and happy. That's what we're on this planet to do!

Happy Sunday everyone,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment